HOME Home About Subscribe Features FAQ Beauty Fashion Lifestyle

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Updated Oily-Combo Skincare Routine

You know those people who are so uptight that whenever you change anything in their routine, they go ballistic? well, it turns out my skin is like that. Yes, it is a total a-hole. Whenever I see a product that sounds amazing, I'll be like "oh, good, let's try that one out!" and my skin will be like "yeah, nope". And if I dare do it, it will give me a nice little set of brand new breakouts. So I give in, and try to stick to the (very few!) products my skin will accept without throwing a huge tantrum.

So here they are, the products that have been working well for me and keeping that oil factory I have in my pores under control:



First off, I start the day cleansing my face to get rid of any gunk I might have accumulated overnight with The Body Shop Seaweed Deep Cleansing Facial Wash. This was a favorite of mine back in 2010 (I used it throughout my whole pregnancy) and I recently repurchased it. I can't believe I forgot how amazing it was, but I am so thrilled I rediscovered it. It is a very gentle everyday face wash that works really well for me even though it says "for combination skin" (don't tell my skin!).

However, two to three times a week I'll use a face scrub instead of the face wash to really deep-clean my pores. I tend to lean towards more abrasive scrubs. What can I say? the skin likes it rough, I give it rough. (okay, that might sound a bit weird!)
I am alternating between two at the moment: Alba AcneDote Face And Body Scrub, which is amazing when my skin is behaving badly (not to mention dirt cheap at $7), it makes my skin feel fresh and renewed, and keeps breakouts at a minimum. It is however on the more abrasive side of the spectrum, so be aware of that if you have sensitive skin. On days where I am looking for a gentler cleanse, I will use Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser, which is more mild. I finish off my morning routine with my Neutrogena moisturizer/sunscreen and done. Nice and easy.

At night, I will start by removing my makeup with The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter. Let me just say from the get-go that I would have never ever EVER gotten this for myself: I usually keep my face miles away from anything that says "butter" on it (!!!) but this was a gift from my mother in law, so I decided to give it a try because I was really intrigued by the cleansing balm craze,(and you know, you don't reject gifts from your MIL!). I was terrified of what I would see in the mirror the next morning. To my utter bewilderment, my face seemed to love it. The makeup comes off very easily with a flannel or cotton buds, and it doesn't leave a tight feeling (like the wipes I used on my last skincare routine did!). But perhaps most importantly for me, it didn't break me out at all. Needless to say, I am a cleansing balm convert and I'm already on my second one. Afterwards, I cleanse my face again with The Body Shop Seaweed facial wash.

Twice a week I will also love me a good face mask and LUSH makes my favorites. The two I alternate at the moment are Cupcake and Cosmetic Warrior. I would get the former purely for the smell (it's like a chocolate bar for my face, yum!), even if it wasn't targeted at my skin type but it just so happens that it is perfect for breakouts yay! The latter is a more comprehensive treatment for the face thanks to the egg white and honey, which help with breakouts, blemishes and blackheads while also moisturizing the skin. My face is always happy happy after one of these.

Like last time, I still like to finish off with my Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion and let it work overnight on my problem areas (which can be many, let me tell ya!).

This routine has proven to be a no-fuss, straight-forward solution that is keeping my skin pretty happy at the moment, so it is not likely to change any time soon if I can help it. But who knows... My skin might decide it has had enough of any of these at any point. You just don't know with that girl!
Am I the only one with skin this mercurial?



 photo Button1_zps4b1eff04.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...