HOME Home About Subscribe Features FAQ Beauty Fashion Lifestyle

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Top 5: Style Icons

There is a quote by Coco Chanel that I absolutely love, which goes "Fashion Fades. Only style remains the same". I like it because it reminds me that style is much, much more than just appearances. It is a way of being, made up of our attitudes, our essence and our way of approaching what life throws at us.

Style is staying true to yourself, without trying to be anybody else. The other day watching a Dr. Seuss movie (because you know, that's what you do when you have a toddler), something he sang (yes, the little cartoon, get over it) got stuck in my head: "Today you are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is you-er than you". It got me thinking, how many times in our daily lives do we do or say (or fail to do and say) something because of what other people might think? because we are too concerned with giving the wrong impression? I think that little quote shouldn't be in a kids film, kids know that very well, after all, but us adults tend to forget it often. We spend so much time in our lives pretending, that we waste the opportunity to be the best "us" we can be (and I do realize that sounded extremely cliché!). And I strongly believe that style refers to being just that, our very best version. Yes, fashion is great (I for one, love it!) but being comfortable in your own skin is far more important.

Below I have compiled a list of my favorite style icons and the things I love most about them, because I think that they truly know what being yourself means;  they know and accept their flaws and limitations and exploit their virtues:


1. Audrey Hepburn
Well, this one should come as no surprise: this woman is the epitome of elegance and class, but not in a fake, 'i-have-to-be-a-certain-way-in-order-to-be-liked' way. She never tried to please anybody but herself, and that is one of the reasons that her timeless sophistication is still coveted by millions of women to date.



2. Kate Middleton
The amount of pressure this woman must be under is certainly not easy to handle. However, she always manages to have a relaxed attitude towards it. So I got a somewhat-insulting nickname because my fiancĂ© is waiting for the right time to propose? Ok, I have a boyfriend who is refusing to be pressured into an engagement, yay me!  So a thousand paparazzi are stationed right outside my door, waiting for a little human to pop out of my body parts? Alright, let's announce that he is safe and sound and gorgeous and get this over with! So the whole entire world is eagerly waiting to pass judgement on my post-pregnancy body? Well, here it is for y'all. Knock yourselves out! All the more power to you, Kate! Oh, and also, she always looks absolutely flawless, yeah, there's also that. 



























3. Ellen DeGeneres
Okay, this one might be a little biased, because I am a huge fan of her show. But in all honesty, she is so authentic and real, and encourages everyone to be who they really are. Like it or not, she is who she is and isn't afraid to show it. One of my goals in life is to have the level of confidence in myself this woman has. This is exactly what makes her one of my top 5 in my book when it comes to style:































4. Jennifer Lawrence
A woman that makes her own rules instead of following the pre-established industry trends is one of the most stylish things out there. She knows who she is and who she wants to be and she is not letting anyone change that anytime soon. And for a girl in her early 20s this is simply remarkable. I hope she never loses her 'if-you-like-me-great-if-not-see-ya-later' vibe. 































5. Melissa McCarthy
Hardly anyone is as comfortable with herself as this woman. She is anything but self-conscious about her full figure, and instead uses it in her favor in a number of ways. She doesn't take herself too seriously, as she knows there is much, much more to her than her exterior, which she constantly proves with her intelligence, a bubbly cheerful personality at all times, and incredible talent. If that isn't style, I don't know what is. 







































Who are your style icons and whose self-confidence do you admire? What does style mean to you?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...